Thursday 21 November 2013

Birth of a Blog

For as long as I can remember growing up in Canada, I have been a huge sports fan. Along with that has come my love for sports journalism. Every single days I scour the web for interesting articles and looks on various sports topics. From stats and standing to trade rumours and scandals, I try and read everything. One of the greatest aspects of the Internet boom has been the expansion of journalism. You no longer have to work for a newspaper or a news agency to be able to write and distribute your opinion to millions in just an instant. Given this opportunity, I am going to start writing my own thoughts about sports and sport culture.

Just some background on me as a person, athlete and fan before I set out. I've grown up with sports surrounding me. Never found a sport that hasn't made me want to learn more or get better. I am the ultimate "sports" fan. There are obviously sports that I have not played, however every single one draws me in. I'm intrigued to watch cricket or tennis although I've never actually played either of them. Something about the idea of sport and mainly competition drives me like nothing else. "Me against the world" mentality comes to mind as I'm writing this. I hate losing more than anything else.

I haven't cut out a defined path for this blog, going to let it lead me. It will revolve around sport but I have more overlying passions than just that. Sport within our lives really intrigues me. Sport itself is such a spectacle in our society. There is no one thing that brings together as many people as sports does. In a few months when the Olympics come, whole nations will come together to support their athletes.However a few months after that when the World Cup comes around you hear and read about hostilities between the people of these countries. It’s a beautiful thing. A beautiful war some would say.The science of sport will also be a frequent stream in my blog. No matter how many unbelievable feats I witness, I'm still vulnerable to be shocked by another. And lastly, I am going to try and touch on another love of mine, music. Music and sport influence each other in so many ways.

For those wondering, the blog is named after Joe Carter's Home Run in 1993 World Series. Thought it was fitting since I'll be writing about any and all sports. 

You can follow me on my Twitter account @Touch_Em_All

Anyways, thanks for joining me on this adventure through sports!

Dyl Mac

P.S. Feel free to get at me in the comments or on Twitter. Would love to have conversations with anyone who reads this!

No comments:

Post a Comment